WINTER OUTLOOK 2023 IS NOW LIVE

The 2023 Winter Outlook

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Tuesday Update: Winter Storm for Many on Friday

 Good morning. Quick post today as I am pretty busy. I want to however give my first thoughts on a winter storm that will impact the region on Thursday night into Friday. At this time it looks like some front end snow north of I-78 changing to ice (sleet/freezing rain) with all snow in New England off the coasts. For areas further south (CNJ, etc.), at this time I am thinking an initial period of sleet and freezing rain changing to plain rain by Friday. I think the I-78 benchmark will be a good indicator here in terms of impacts.

I am going to put together an initial threat map tonight. For now here is a very very rough sketch of what I expect...



Enough cold air will be in place ahead of this storm system to allow an initial period of accumulating snow in areas like NW NJ into S New England. For areas more south I think this starts as sleet. Ice then takes over for all areas north of  I-78 with rain to the south. I will note areas near Phili etc see some initial wintery precip before this changes to rain.


Models show this nicely starting late Thursday night in first frame...





Stay tuned. Sorry for the quick post. I will have another post out tonight around 7pm with more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment