WINTER OUTLOOK 2023 IS NOW LIVE

The 2023 Winter Outlook

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Wednesday Pattern Update: Not Giving Up

Good morning and Happy New Year! I know by now everyone must be giving up on winter. After all, why not. It has been a mild and snowless December with frequent rain. As the calendar strikes January 1st there seems to be no break in this pattern. Naturally, the normal conclusion would be winter is over. 

However, I cannot make that conclusion at this time. No, its not because I just love the cold and snow and am biased, but its because the data I am looking at will not let me. Sure, when it is all said and one I can be wrong and this mild pattern holds for most of the season but I really do not think that will happen based on a few main things going on.

At this time,  think we have 10-15 more days left of this mild pattern then things flip by mid-January to cold and stormy. If by then nothing does change then yes you will see me throw in the towel. But until then I am going down with the ship on this if it does not occur.

The main factors I am looking at are:


  • A major stratospheric warming and polar vortex split that has just occurred
  • Thunderstorms in the tropics projected to move into a more favorable place for colder air on the east coast
  • My seasonal analogs

Staring off, we just have begun to see a split of the polar vortex way up in the atmosphere. To keep things simple, the polar vortex is a semi permanent area of low pressure that sits over the north pole in the winter time. When it is strong the cold air tends to stay locked to the north. When it weakens due to warm air breaking it up, it tends to result in that cold air funneling south to the lower latitudes. This process does not happen over night and usually happens 2.5-3 weeks after a warming and or split occurs.

At this time a split just occurred. Notice how the vortex has split into 3 regions...



Remember this is way up in the atmosphere so it will take time to work its way down to the lower levels and have an impact on our weather. However, the implication of this can be major. Based on where the vortex as split it favors seeing very cold air develop over the regions I circled and high pressure over the region in red which is the north pole. When you get high pressure over the north pole it causes cold air to drill south. Something not to ignore for sure

Secondly, we have our thunderstorm pattern in the pacific (MJO pattern) projected to move into a more favorable region. This is very tough to predict by models, but based on where they are placing these thunderstorms it should produce a pattern like this based on historical cases...


Thirdly, we have my January forecast per my winter forecast analogs...

So there is my logic but what do the long range models say?

In the short term our mild pattern continues with pacific air moving in due to low pressure off the west coast south of Alaska...

Based on the three factors I laid out above, this circled region should flip to high pressure which will block off pacific air in 10 to 15 days.

The GFS model starts to show that...

The Canadian model is similar but the European is not showing this...

So there is the chance I am wrong here. But again I can not just look at one model and ignore those other factors.

We now are going to have to wait to see how this plays out. Like I said, if by mid-Jan nothing is happening I will be the first to throw in the towel. Right now, at least I laid out my case why I still refuse to do so.

More to come. 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Weather Willy for keeping the hope alive! We've been tempted to throw in the towel as well but now we have hope for those late January mid-February snowdroppers!
    Andy in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! Hang in there, winter should deliver.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willy, as I’ve said before, nothing beats the words “Blizzard Warning”, “Heavy Snow Warning” “Winter Storm Warning”...
    At this point, I wouldn’t mind hearing a friggin’ “Mixed Bag Watch”! Man I hate those words, “mixed bag”, but it would be a start I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact maryshea03@gmail.com for a free masterclass strategy. She'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..


    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact maryshea03@gmail.com for a free masterclass strategy. She'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..


    ReplyDelete
  6. I will always advice, that when you want to trade, you should seek the assistance of a well trained personnel. I've been trading with Robert Seaman and it would be selfish of me, if i don't recommend them. With their well guarded signals and forever active strategies i have been able to make over 11,200usd weekly
    Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or WhatsApp +44 7466 770724 and thank me later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to Robert seaman for his wonderful masterclass strategy which has help me earn at least $8,000 weekly using his masterclass strategy and has also helped me recover all my lost money in binary options trading, i recommend his help to each traders whose point is to succeed and make good profits in binary options and also for those who wants to get back all their lost money and for those who are new in trading or have any issues in tradings, you can contact him on Robertseaman939@gmail.com        

    ReplyDelete