WINTER OUTLOOK 2023 IS NOW LIVE

The 2023 Winter Outlook

Friday, December 22, 2017

Friday Morning: Who's Been Dreaming of That White Christmas?

Good morning. For many in the Northeast those dreams will come true Christmas morning as the storm system I have been discussing now has a better chance of materializing. Here is my INITIAL impact map. This will be updated again tomorrow morning...



Summary:


  • Snow likely on Christmas morning for many areas of the Northeast
  • For the Mid-Atlantic (light blue zone) expect some flakes to fly but little accumulation to maybe an inch in some spots
  • Further south no White Christmas this year sorry
  • Snow starts late in the night on Christmas Eve and ends by late morning to early afternoon Christmas Day
  • Changes to this forecast are still possible including minimal impacts
    • Stay tuned for updates all weekend
  •  We then turn out eyes to a potential significant storm later next week
    • More on this to come




Latest models are starting to come around to my thoughts that a storm system develops along a stalled front on Christmas Eve....


I still think this can change a little as the energy responsible for this storm still needs to be ironed out by the models...


If this trends sharper then the storm is stronger and produces more snow. If it trends flatter then this turns into just snow showers. Right now I am thinking the middle ground makes sense and that is reflected in my forecast map. 


We then turn to a potential big ticket storm threat later next week. The atmosphere will be absolutely loaded to produce something big but I will wait to this weekend to start to discuss those details. 

I will have a few comments later tonight on all of this. 

2 comments:

  1. Willy mentioned the possibility of this (Christmas) storm several days back before anyone on public format dared touch it. Thank you for your bold yet very sound and often accurate prediction.

    I will not share the forecast with my wife or daughter since they are oblivious unless I share what is happening in the world. They will hopefully have a pleasant surprise Christmas morning.

    Question: If the storm hits, when can we expect first flakes to fly on xmas eve in the Passaic County/Morris region...?

    Looking forward to the comments tonight since I am guessing you will address this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. IF this hits I do expect the flakes in Passic/Morris region. Some accumulation can be expected. The next 24 hours of models will tell the tale. Of course this can trend away from my thinking but I think this hits. I will address again tonight around 6.

      Delete